Sunday, August 19, 2012

Nazdrowie from Poland.......Colorado


Nazdrowie from Poland….Colorado.



My parents are visiting from Florida and we went to the Cracovia restaurant in Westminster for lunch http://www.cracoviarestaurant.com.  I picked Cracovia because my father is Polish, his parents are Polish, and his grandparents moved to the US from Poland.  Growing up I had exposure to some Polish food like sausage, sauerkraut, pierogi’s, and potato’s, but I have never explored their food or beer. Cracovia has a great menu and good online visitor ratings, and I understand why. They have very good service, and the food is home made by their Polish owners. On Friday nights they have live music starting at 7pm….get your polka on! I was hoping my Dad would give me a little history lesson with lunch and I was not disappointed. My daughter and I had pierogi’s, he had schnitzel, and my Mom had placek (potato pancakes), and everything was excellent. My Dad said it was some of the best Polish food he has tasted since he was a kid. 





When he grew up in East Baltimore, a Polish section of the city, his mom would make everything from scratch. She had a meat grinder which she used to stuff their sausages, and she would roll out the dough to make noodles for chicken noodle soup. Their family would go to the chicken store to purchase a live (for that moment) chicken to use in their soup. For dessert we ordered a paczki (Polish donut) and krushtiki’s (Polish bows) covered in powdered sugar. I must say these are fresh and tasty desserts. The donut was filled with a fresh raspberry filling and the bows were dusted in powdered sugar. 



To drink I ordered my first Polish beer called Lezajsk served in a full pint bottle.  The brewery has been around since 1525. In 1525 Polish King Sigmund the Old granted the exclusive beer brewing right to Lezajsk brewers. This law was not a royal whim, it was a toke of respect for the mastery of Lezajsk brewers. A true flavor of the legend of Lezajsk 1525. Lezajsk is a premium lager so it falls in the category with Coors banquet, Amstel, Grolsh, and Spaten. I find Lezajsk to be delicious and drinkable with a bit more malt flavor than an Amstel or Spaten. I am a fan of malty beers so I really enjoyed drinking it and glad I had a full pint instead of 16oz. Cracovia serves 13 Polish beers and 9 Polish Vodka’s on their menu. The bar area is small and they close at 9pm, but the great food and drink variety makes it worth the trip to Westminster for a tasting tour of Poland. Cheers in Poland: Nazdrowie (Naz-droh-vee-ay)!

I’ll have another.

No comments:

Post a Comment